Maryland: More Civil War Sites
Civil War in Allegany County
Trails sign at Canal Place off Mechanic Street in Town of Cumberland
Thousands of Union troops were required throughout the war to protect this vital Northern transportation, supply and communications area in Western Maryland. Cumberland was an important stop on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and the National Road, and it was the western terminal of the C&O Canal.
Trails sign at in Constitution Park in Town of Cumberland
Union stronghold established here in June 1861 primarily to protect the western Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The town, strongly garrisoned during the war, became a supply and hospital base. Frequent Confederate raids were staged against the railroad in the area, the most spectacular on Feb. 21, 1865, resulting in the capture of two Union generals by Confederate partisan Jesse McNeill.
"Picket Post No. 1"
Trails sign located at the Park & Ride off Route 220, 11800 McMullen Highway, Cumberland MD 21502
In a daring pre-dawn raid Feb. 21, 1865, Confederate Lt. Jesse McNeill and his raiders captured two Union Generals — George Crook and Benjamin Kelly. The raiders succeeded in entering Cumberland by overwhelming a Union picket post near here and gaining the secret countersign. The generals were unharmed and soon exchanged.
"Turner Ashby's Attack"
Trails sign located on the C&O Towpath southeast of Cumberland
Union and Confederate patrols clashed in a chance encounter here June 26, 1861. As is the case with many Civil War fights, each side had a different view of the clash. The Confederates told of a heroic charge led by Turner Ashby as the Southerners gave much more than they got in the way of casualties. The Federals told of killing dozens of Confederates while fighting outnumbered.
Battle of Folk's Mill
Trails sign at the Shriner's Hall, 13100 Ali Ghan Road NE, Cumberland MD 21502
After burning Chambersburg, Penn., on July 31, 1864, Confederate cavalry Gen. John C. McCausland turned toward Cumberland. Union defenders turned the raiders back after a four-hour battle at this spot.
Brady's Crossing (Cresaptown)
Trails sign in park on Darrows Lane, off Route 220 in Cresaptown
Confederate raiders passed through here Feb. 21, 1865, gathering intelligence about Federal troop dispositions in the Cumberland vicinity from local Confederate partisans. The Confederates managed to enter the town and capture two Union generals, creating much alarm in the North as the war wound down.
Clarysville General Hospital
Trails sign just off Alternate 40 near Vale Summit Road SW (Route 55)
Located on the old National Road, this Union hospital was established in a large complex of buildings at the Clarysville Inn in March 1862. It served thousands of Union sick and wounded as well as some Confederates. The original inn burned in 1999.
- "Folk's Mill: Retaliation Rebuffed"
Trails sign located at the Park & Ride, 12702 Ali Ghan Road, Cumberland MD 21502.
The day after the burning of Chambersburg (PA) on July 31, 1864, Confederates under Gen. John McCausland were prevented from entering Cumberland after a 4-hour fight with Union troops here. McCausland moved in the direction of Oldtown.
- McCausland's Raid: Railroad Fight
Trails sign located at the intersection of Opessa Street and Old Braddock Trail, southeast of Cumberland.
Following the burning of Chambersburg July 31, 1864, Confederates under Gen. John McCausland again encountered Union troops here. After a brief fight at Oldtown, the Federals retreated across the Potomac River on the B&O Railroad bridge where they took up positions in a blockhouse and in an armored artillery railroad car. The resistance pinned down the Confederates for awhile until the rail car was put out of commission and the blockhouse surrendered.
For a Gettysburg Campaign-related site near Cumberland see gettysburgCampaignMD.html
Trails sign located at located on Route 135 near Old Wilson Road in Altamont
This was the scene of an April 26, 1863, Confederate raid on the B&O Railroad led by partisan John McNeill. The Confederates, led by Gen. William E. "Grumble" Jones, succeeded in cutting telegraph wires and destroying switches here.
Trails sign at the restored train station, 104 E Liberty St, Oakland MD 21550
Surprised townfolks emerged from church services April 26, 1863, to find the town occupied by John McNeil's rangers during a larger incursion into Western Maryland. McNeil's men captured dozens of prisoners here and destroyed bridges and track on the B&O Railroad in the area.
Trails sign on west side of Herrington Manor Road, northwest of downtown Oakland
Confederate rangers under John McNeill captured and burned a small Union fort here then proceeded to burn the B&O Railroad bridge over the Savage River during the raid on April 26, 1863. Remains of the fort are accessible via a path parallel to the river.
Clear Spring: Vital Crossroads
Trails sign at 12624 Broadfording Road, Clear Spring MD 21722
This small Union-leaning community on the National Road was on a critical north-south route during the war and saw lots of cavalry action during the aftermath of both the Antietam and Gettysburg Campaigns and the Confederate 1864 raid on Chambersburg.
Links to websites of Maryland destinations: MDLinks